Are you a new property owner in Montgomery County?
The following is some of the things that you should know about property taxes:
- Real Property Tax Bills
- If you are a new owner in Montgomery County, you should know when to expect to receive your property tax bills. The Real Property Tax Law does not allow for the forgiving of taxes, interest or penalties due to the non-receipt by the property owner. Sometimes when a property transfers, new ownership information does not get to the assessor or tax collector prior to the mailing of the tax bills. When this happens, the prior owner or their escrow company may receive the tax bill and not forward it on to you. If you are a new property owner, look for your tax bill. If it is not delivered within the tax frame, call your tax collector. Tax Collector Contact Info
- If you have sold part of your parcel or purchased part of a parcel
- If you have purchased a portion of a property, commonly referred to as a split, be aware that depending on the time of year the purchase was made, the tax bill may be prepared in the original ownerís name for the entire amount of the taxes due on the property as a whole. In order for the tax collector to prepare separate bills, you as the property owner must make a request in writing to the town or city assessor. The assessor will then create an apportionment sheet for the tax collector and the tax collector will create a corrected tax bill so you only pay your portion of the bill.
- Escrow Companies
- If your taxes are paid by an escrow company, they are obligated to pay your taxes within the interest free period. If they do not, the interest cannot be charged back to you; it must be paid by the escrow company. The tax collector is obligated to mail a receipt to you within three weeks of payment by the escrow company. If you havenít received your paid receipt in a timely fashion, call the tax collector to verify that payment has been made. Tax Collector Contact Info
- You may be eligible for an exemption that may significantly reduce your tax bill. Contact the assessor in your municipality for information. Assessor Contact Info
- Tax Collection & Enforcement
- Although the Real Property Tax Department processes the tax rolls, we are not involved with tax collection or enforcement. For more information about tax collection or enforcement, contact the County Treasurerís Department.