Show Mobile Search Hide Mobile Search Show Mobile Social Media Hide Mobile Social Media Show Mobile Menu Hide Mobile Menu
Montgomery County Made of Something Stronger - Link to Homepage
Visit us on Facebook  Visit us on YouTube  Visit us on Twitter     View our Video Tour

Frequently Asked Questions

Absentee ballot

An absentee ballot is a ballot submitted (as by mail) in advance of an election by a voter who is unable to be present at the polls.

To request an absentee ballot please visit the Board of Elections Absentee Voting Page

Anonymous Crime Tips

Certificate of Residency

Certificates of Residency are issued by the Treasurer's Office. Please print and complete the certificate, and bring it to the Treasurer's Office.

Civil Service Tests

Civil Service Tests are conducted by the Human Resources Department.

Upcoming exams.

Employment opportunities.

Committee Meetings

Contact Information

Contact Us Page.

Contact Information can be also be found on each Department's site, or in the County Directory (PDF)


District Maps

DMV Approved Point and Insurance Reduction

Take an Online Defensive Driving Course and save 10% on your automobile liability, no-fault and collision insurance premiums. Your car insurance discount is awarded on your current policy. You do not have to change your insurer or insurance agent.

If you have a traffic ticket, the benefits are even greater: New York Defensive Driving courses can mean a 4-point reduction on your driving record.

  • Online Defensive Driving Course
  • 10% Car Insurance Discount
  • Up to 4 Points Reduced On Your License
  • No Test or Exam
  • Special Reduced Pricing ($25) for Montgomery County Residents

Defensive Driving Course Website*

Cookies: If you use a Cookie Manager or Blocker, you must permit cookies from '' and '' to get the special pricing.

Employment Opportunities

Employment Opportunities can be found on the Personnel web page.

Current job openings.

Application information and upcoming exams.

FOIL Requests

Freedom of Information Law

New York State law provides for public access to most government records. More information can be found on the New York State Department of State website*.

Montgomery County FOIL requests should be made to the County Clerk. Please visit the County Clerk webpage for hours and contact information.

Hazard Mitigation

The Hazard Mitigation Plan identifies projects that can reduce damages from future natural hazards. The Plan includes a risk assessment and hazard mitigation strategy.

Hazard Mitigation plan and more information.

See also: Emergency Management Office

History & Genealogy

The Department of History and Archives has an extensive library of local history including genealogy material.

Other History & Heritage links.

Image Mate Online

Look up property information including owner, tax information, owner history, comparables, property inventory. Also provides links to aerial imagery, tax maps, third party maps such as Google and Yahoo. Image Mate Online.

Legislative Agendas, Packets, Resolutions, & Minutes

Agendas, Resolutions, and Minutes from Legislature meetings can be viewed at the Government Proceedings page.

See also: Committee Meetings, Meeting Videos

Local Laws

Max Bus Service

The Montgomery Area Xpress bus service provides transportation along the main east-west corridor with connecting service to other bus systems.

Visit the Montgomery Area Xpress (MAX) Bus Service Site for more information and schedules.

MC Business Development Center

The Montgomery County Business Development Center (MCBDC)* contains the offices of the Montgomery County Department of Economic Development, Planning and Tourism and the Montgomery County Industrial Development Agency.

Parcel Data and Maps

Look up property information including owner, tax information, owner history, comparables, property inventory. Also provides links to aerial imagery, tax maps, third party maps such as Google and Yahoo. Image Mate Online.


Passports can be acquired at the County Clerk's office. Please visit the County Clerk webpage for hours and contact information.


The following Permits are available from the County.

Civil Office Permits:

  • Pistol Permit

Department of Public Works Permits:

  • Miscellaneous Structures
  • Telephone-Fiber Optics
  • Water Main, Sewer Main, Gas Main
  • Driveway
  • Electric Light or Power Line
  • Special Hauling

Department of Motor Vehicles Permits:

  • Driver's License
  • Enhanced Driver's License
  • Learner's Permit (Car, Motorcycle, CDL)
  • Non-driver ID Card
  • Enhanced Non-driver ID Card

Building Permits are issued by Towns, Villages or Cities. You can find links to Town, Village and City information here.

Property Tax

Property Tax rolls and Assessment rolls can be found on the Real Property website.

Tax bills can be viewed online on the Real Property Site.

Note, you should not rely on the Tax roll for your actual tax amount. For your current tax amount please contact the Treasurer's Office.

Tax maps can be acquired from the Real Property Department.

Public Defender

If you need a Public Defender please contact the Public Defender's Office.

Reschedule a court date

To schedule a new court date please contact the court in question directly. There is no web interface for this.

Court information.

Sales Tax

The current Sales Tax rate in Montgomery County is 8%.

Tax Maps

Property Tax Maps can be acquired from the Real Property Tax Department.


Voting and Elections

To learn about voting in Montgomery County please visit the Board of Elections site.

Waterfront Revitalization Program

Zoning Law

Zoning and Code Enforcement is done at the Town, Village or City level. Links to Town, Village and City information