Publish Date: 11/14/2017
RELEASE: Executive Applauds Agreement That Begins Clean-Up Work At Exit 29 Site
Industrial Development Agency Will Contract Removal of Hazardous Material and Asbestos
FONDA — County Executive Matthew L. Ossenfort announced Tuesday that physical progress will begin at the Exit 29 Redevelopment Site in Canajoharie. Legislators passed a resolution during a Special Meeting that will allow the County to enter into an order with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
This agreement will allow the County to remove up to 2,532.3 tons of material consisting of the debris piles, the roll-off container, and certain partial exterior walls, as well as certification that no residual asbestos remains where the material had been located at the Exit 29 site.
“There’s a lot of hard work that’s gone on behind the scenes to get to this point,” Ossenfort said. “The point of physical progress is upon us and it’s really exciting to see this project move forward.”
In return for doing the clean-up, the County will get a credit for all dollars they spend from money owed to the EPA if the property is ever sold. Funds used to remove the materials are from a grant secured by the County Industrial Development Agency (IDA) who will oversee the clean-up process.
“This is a great step forward and shows progress in the revitalization of Canajoharie,” District 3 Legislator and Legislative Chairman Roy S. Dimond said. “The County is committed to the people of Canajoharie and will continue work on this project for the benefit of all county residents.”