Charter Commission Reference Files
County Charters- The following files provide background information, examples and potential templates for Montgomery County
- County Charter Law Article 4 - This the State Law from the New York State Home Rule Law that allows Counties and Cities to create Charters
- Draft Local Law No. 1 County Charter 1985 - This draft County Charter created back in 1985 was never adopted but is being considered by the Charter Commission as a possible template for a new one.
- Adopting and Amending County Charters - This is a NYS Department of State booklet on County Charters
- Putnam County Charter - Being considered as a possible template for Montgomery County
- Dutchess County Charter - Being considered as a possible template for Montgomery County
County Executives- One of the directives of the Charter Commission is to investigate creating an Elected County Executive position, requiring a County-wide referendum.
- Coddington Co Exec Survey Info - Supervisor Larry Coddington, Town of Glen made a summary of the various county managers he talked to
- The Case for a County Manager - A study from Columbia County on the pros and cons of having a County Manager (appointed) or County Executive (elected)
Legislative Districts- The other main directive of the Charter Commission is to consider creating new Legislative District to replace the current Supervisor system
- Draft Legislative District with 6 Districts - One example of how legislative districts could be created.
- Montgomery Co Weighted Vote Map - A map showing the current 2010 census information, political boundaries and the weighted votes per County Supervisor
Montgomery County Government- The following files provide information about the current system of County Government and Departments
- Baia County Gov Study - The County Personnel Director, Rich Baia, wrote this study of Montgomery County Government
- Co. Dept Heads and Terms 2012 - A list of Montgomery County Departments, Department Heads and their terms
- Mont Co BOS Committee Org Chart - A chart showing the different Board of Supervisor Committee, Committee Heads and Committee Departments
- Mont Co Dept Descriptions - In this file, each County Department provides a brief description of their work
- Montgomery County Board of Supervisors Committees - A list of Board of Supervisors Committees and description of County Functions Oversight
- Mont Co Dept Head Survey Summary - A summary of a survey by County Department Heads on the state of County Government
- St. Law Personnel Officer - Reference from State Law requiring this position
- St. Law Real Property Director - Reference from State Law requiring this position
- St. Law Social Services Commissioner - Reference from State Law requiring this position