Montgomery County
Skip to main content
Go Search
Montgomery County Homepage


 Content Editor Web Part ‭[2]‬

This page has moved! If your browser doesn't automatically redirect within a few seconds, please click here to visit the new page.

 Temporary Assistance

There are 3 basic forms of Temporary Assistance:
Temporary Assistance to Need Families (TANF) - provides temporary support for families with children.
Safety Net Assistance (SN) - provides temporary support for individuals, childless couples or families not eligible for TANF.
Emergency Assistance to Families (EAF) or Emergency Assistance to Adults (EAA) - provides for individuals with an immediate need such as an eviction, utility shut-off, no heat, etc.
In order to qualify for TANF or SN, individuals are required to comply with all employment requirements, pass income and resource tests and utilize any other forms of support that may be available to them.
To verify NYS Document Requirements click here!

 Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

SNAP is administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). It is a nutrition program that strives to assist eligible individuals in acquiring adequate food for themselves and their families.  Eligibility and benefit levels are based on household size, income and other factors.  The SNAP income eligibility limits enable families earning up to 130% of the poverty level to qualify for these benefits. 

Applications are taken in person at the Department of Social Services, 64 Broadway, Fonda, NY but it is encouraged to utilize the New York State SNAP website for faster processing.


Click here to download an application if you are applying for Temporary Assistance (English)
Click here to download an application if you are applying for SNAP (English)
Click here to download an application if you are applying for SNAP (Spanish)

 Nondiscrimination Statement (Aviso sobre Normas Antidiscriminatorias)

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form (AD-3027), also available at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.

Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by any one of the following:

  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
  2. fax: (202) 690-7442
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


NOTE: Links marked with an asterisk are not managed by Montgomery County. They are provided for your convenience only. We bear no responsibility for their content.