Any registered voter who will be unable to personally appear at the polls because he/she:
- Unavoidably absent from the county of his residence because his duties, occupation, business or studies require him to be elsewhere on Election Day,
- Absent from county of residence because of vacation,
- Patient of veterans administration hospital,
- Absent from county due to the accompanying of a spouse, parent or child who would be entitled to an absentee ballot,
- Detained in jail awaiting trial, action by grand jury, or confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than a felony,
- Ill or physically disabled temporary or permanent, or a primary caregiver for ill or disabled person(s).
Questions regarding Village or School Election Absentee ballots and procedures you must contact Village or School District Office for forms and information.
Contact the Board of Elections for information on obtaining an absentee application and ballot. You can also obtain an application form by clicking here (PDF). Click here for an application (PDF) in Spanish. The form must be printed and signed before mailing to board of elections
**For information regarding Military or Federal Absentee ballots and procedures please contact our office or click here for forms and info.
Upon completion, applications must be mailed to the county board no later than the seventh day before the election or delivered in person no later than the day before the election.
You may also request an Absentee Ballot Application by sending a letter or emailing the county board of elections. It must be received by the county board no earlier than 30 days and no later than seven days before the election.
The following information must be contained in the correspondence:
- the address where you are registered
- an address where the application is to be sent
- the reason for the request, and
- name or names of person(s) for who the request is being made
If you cannot pick up your ballot, or will not be able to receive it through the mail, you have the right to designate someone to pick it up for you. Only that person designated on your application may pick up and deliver your ballot.
For more information on absentee voting, please see FAQ's